Last Updated: 20 April 2021
We respect and protect the privacy of people that use maraconsulting.com.au or the sites that we use to collect your personal information.
Mara Consulting is bound by the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) under the Privacy Act 1988. This regulates how we collect, use and disclose your personal information.
Why we collect your personal information
Personal Information is information that identifies you as an individual, such as your:
- Email address.
Gathering feedback and information from users about how they use the website helps us to provide the best possible experience on maraconsulting.com.au. The information helps us to understand:
- how you use the website
- how you rate your experience
- whether you would recommend the site to others.
In turn, we can build a better picture of users and deliver the relevant information, assistance, forms, and services you need.
We may collect personal information directly from you or someone you authorise on your behalf.
We may combine Personal Information that we collect about you with Personal Information you provide to Mara Consulting through other sources, such as inquiries, events or through community and stakeholder consultation (in person and online). We will use the combined Personal Information in accordance with this Privacy Statement for as long as it is combined.
How we use your personal information
We may use Personal Information to:
- Respond to your inquiries and fulfil your requests, such as to send you e-mail alerts.
- Send you important information regarding the website, changes to Mara Consulting’s policies and/or other administrative information.
- Send you marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you, including information about events.
- Allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests, and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information, so we suggest that you read these rules carefully.
- Permit you to send messages to a friend through the website. By using this functionality, you are telling Mara Consulting that you are entitled to use and provide Mara Consulting with your friend’s name and email address.
- Allow you to communicate and interact with others through the website (for example, through a blog, messaging functionality, chat functionality, profile, or other social media).
- Permit you to register and participate in events with Mara Consulting.
- Enable Mara Consulting business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, enhancing the website, developing marketing events, identifying usage trends, and determining the effectiveness of Mara Consulting’s promotional campaigns.
- As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government; (d) to enforce Mara Consulting terms and conditions; (e) to protect Mara Consulting operations; (f) to protect Mara Consulting rights, privacy, safety, or property, you, or others; and (g) to allow Mara Consulting to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Your personal information will normally be used for the primary reason for which we collected it or a directly related secondary purpose. It may also be used in an emergency to help prevent a serious and imminent threat to life or health, or for law enforcement purposes, or where we are authorised or required to do so by law.
Our website uses Google Analytics, a service which transmits website traffic data to Google servers in the United States. Google Analytics does not identify individual users or associate individual IP addresses with any other data held by Google. We use reports provided by Google Analytics to help us understand website traffic and webpage usage.
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in reports so Mara Consulting can identify patterns of usage of the site. This assists us in improving the site and the services offered on it.
Mara Consulting will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with relevant privacy laws and policies.
Third Party sites
This Privacy Statement does not address, and we are not responsible for, the privacy, information, or other practices of any third parties, including any third party operating any site to which the website contains a link. The inclusion of a link on the website does not imply endorsement of the linked site by Mara Consulting.
Data security of personal information
We take all reasonable steps to protect the personal information we hold from misuse and loss and from unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure.
However, the internet is not secure, and we cannot guarantee the security of any information sent to us via the internet, nor can we guarantee that our data storage measures are absolutely secure.
Notifiable data breaches
We take the security of your personal and sensitive information very seriously. However, a data breach could occur despite our best efforts.
Under the Act, an Eligible Data Breach is where there is an unauthorised access or disclosure of, personal information, or loss of personal information that has the potential to cause serious harm to the individual that the data pertains to and we have not been able to prevent the likely risk of serious harm with remedial action. If we have reasonable grounds to believe that an Eligible Data Breach has occurred, we will notify you and the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
Access to and correction of personal information
You may request access to your personal information by contacting the Privacy Officer. Except where some legal restrictions might apply you will be provided access to any personal information we have collected or hold about you. If we refuse to allow you access to your personal information held by us, we will explain why. We will deal with all requests to access to personal information as quickly as possible but may charge you a fee where access is provided.
We will endeavour to take reasonable steps to keep information about you accurate and up to date. If at any time you discover that information held about you is incorrect, you may contact us to request a correction and we will update that information.
Anonymity and Complaints
You can choose to deal with us anonymously. We will do our best to action any request or complaint that you supply to us anonymously. However, without providing your identity, we may be limited in the action that we can take in relation to your enquiry or complaint.
Should you have any complaints about our treatment of your personal information please direct this by email to our Privacy Officer on: email@example.com.
We will treat any complaint about a breach of privacy legislation or any relevant registered code seriously and will investigate any breach of which we become aware – including how it occurred and how best to prevent such a breach occurring again.
If you believe that we have not adequately addressed your complaint, you may complain to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.